Friday, April 13, 2012

April A to Z Challenge: L

L = Let Go

Over the last few months, I have learned that letting go of the hurt and anger is a very long and difficult process but that eventually, it's important that I find a way to let it go.  I have come to the realization that holding on to that much negativity only hurts my own well being.  Allowing myself to feel the pain and anger of what I'm going through allows me to start my healing process.  It sounds counter-intuitive,  I know, but both my mom (a mental health professional) and my therapist have advised me not to try to rush through it.  Take the time that I need to process the emotions.  Believe it or not, following their advice has made the healing process (so far, at least) alot easier.  I'm not going to lie, it sucks.  IT SUCKS BAD!  To basically force yourself not to reach for the band aid (whatever your "band aid" of choice might be) when you're feeling the worst pain you've ever felt.  It takes time for the pain and anger to subside enough that you can see clearly but when you can, it's amazing.  It really is alot easier to start letting go of the painful emotions and negativity in your life when you've given yourself the time to really feel them and process them. 

1 comment:

  1. I sort of wrote about this too, today.

    From personal experience, I've found that trying to suppress feelings like anger just makes them grow.

    Good luck with your healing process.

    ReplyDelete